Prepare In Advance:
- Protect valuable appliances and equipment with reliable surge protectors.
- Trim tree branches away from your home and ensure all dead or weak branches are removed in advance.
- Review your insurance policy to ensure that you are adequately covered for all aspects related to the storm like wind, flood, fire, etc.
- Update your hurricane plans and evacuation route and review it with your family frequently.
When a Storm is Approaching:
- Tune in to local stations for storm and safety advisories.
- Never attach a generator directly to the electrical system of a structure without a properly installed transfer switch.
- Never use a generator indoors. When using one outdoors, do not use near doors, windows or vents.
- Keep BEC and other emergency Numbers handy.
After the Storm Has Passed:
- Avoid contact with overhead power lines during clean-up and other activities. ALWAYS keep a safe distance of at least 10 feet from dangerous wires.
- Assume all power lines are live!!! Never touch a fallen line. Call BEC immediately.
- Adhere to safety precautions and ensure that your family does the same.
- Remember to stay tuned to local radio for power restoration updates and additional safety tips.